A diet bad for your heart can also be bad for your erections. Many heart attacks are caused by restricted blood flow in the coronary arteries and the same diet habits that contribute to this condition can also contribute to restricted blood flow to and within the penis. The blood flow is needed for the penis to become erect.
There has been studies conducted that show a link between eating a Mediterranean style diet and improved sexual function. This diet includes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, heart healthy fats, fish and red wine.
Keep a healthy weight and blood pressure and limit alcohol consumption as heavy drinking can cause liver damage, nerve damage and other conditions, which can lead to erectile dysfunction (ED).
Some foods have been shown to improve ED with the following at the top of the list:
- Leafy green vegetables may help to increase circulation because of their high concentration of nitrates
- Dark chocolate – flavonoids in dark chocolate also help to improve circulation and help to lower blood pressure. For healthy ways to eat dark chocolate learn more here.
- Pistachios- A study found that men with ED who ate pistachio nuts every day for three weeks experienced improvement in sexual issues. A great reason to add pistachios to your diet. Pistachios contain a protein called arginine, which helps to relax blood vessels.
- Oysters and other shellfish are known aphrodisiacs due to their high levels of the mineral zinc which plays a role in the production of testosterone
- Watermelon has been shown to have similar effects on ED as Viagra and that they may also increase sexual desire.
Adding these foods into a healthy diet can be the first step in trying to naturally treat ED. Always talk to your doctor however if you are experiencing ED as there may be underlying physical or psychological issues causing your symptoms.